a Quality Management System in La Silla Observatory?
• Because with the implementation of a formal Quality Management System
it will be possible to improve the efficiency of our work and the services
provided to the astronomical community of ESO.
• Because doing this, we can keep La Silla competitive.
• Because many efficient companies already implemented it, in order
to survive in today’s extremely competitive world. Even in Chile the
total number of ISO 9000 certified Companies is close to 400.
Because for ESO Employees such an experience will be valuable. Having worked
in a certified ISO 9001:2000 enterprise can make a difference when applying
for a new job.
• Because it frees resources.
• Because customers want it (it is not the case of ESO… yet).
• Because if we are not the first in applying them in astronomy…
others will do it.
Does a glossary exist?
• Yes, a glossary
in pdf format exists
is ISO 9001:2000?
• ISO, means International Organization for Standardization. It was
created in 1947 and it is located in Geneva, Switzerland. Its purpose is to
facilitate and to support the international trade by developing standards
that makes products acceptable by people around the world. ISO develops these
standards through the participation and the support of experts form member
countries. The countries represented in the International Organization for
Standardization are at the moment 127.
The ISO standards are developed by technical committees where agreement is
reached by consensus. The people who participate in these technical committees
come from national organizations of standards. Consequently, ISO standards
use to enjoy world-wide support.
it is the Management goal with respect to ISO9001:2000?
• To comply with ISO 9001:2000 requirement and achieve certification.
How is going to be implement the Quality Management System?
• The first step towards the certification was the decision of LSO Management
to implement a Quality Management System complying with the ISO 9001:2000
requirements. The second step was to prepare a Quality Manual and train a
Lead Auditor (GAN). Later, a consultant (AM&P) was contracted in order
to get guidance in the process. With the support of Jorge Bravo, Quality Manager
of AM&P, we have implemented a series of activities that will bring us
to the certification at the beginning of 2004.